Makes 8 servings
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 slices bacon, chopped (optional)
- 5 c. sweet onions, sliced
- 8 brown-and-serve Italian rolls, elongated, or 12 brown-and-serve dinner rolls
- 1/2 c. pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 1 c. Alderney cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 400° F. Heat oil in skillet, add bacon and onions and sauté 8 minutes, or until tender. Drain off any excess fat. Slice open rolls, keeping the two halves connected, and place opened rolls in shallow baking pan. Top opened rolls with bacon-onion mixture and sliced olives. Sprinkle with Alderney cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until rolls and topping are golden. While still hot and flexible, fold rolls around filling to close. Serve with steak, barbecued meats or chicken.